You can cook lamb perfectly even without a meat thermometer with a simple finger or tong test. As the end of the cooking time draws near, press the outside centre of your lamb lightly with tongs or a clean fingertip to judge its degree of doneness. As a rough guide:
- Very soft = rare – bright red, raw centre
- Soft = medium rare – pink inside with a red centre
- Springy = medium – pink throughout
- Firmer = well-done range – mostly brown inside
- Hard as a rock = shoe leather. Uh-oh. You must have been busy chatting...