While the northern hemisphere is covered in snow and cooler temperatures, Aussies are out and about in the sunshine during the holidays. From barbecues on the beach to a backyard game of cricket, Christmas is spent outside with family and friends.
- Australian families spend much of their time outside in December. Christmas activities include swimming,surfing and grilling outdoors on the barbie. It is summer Down Under after all!
- Families decorate with their homes and gardens with wreaths, Christmas trees and lights.
- Children in Australia get a six-week vacation for the holidays running from mid-December to February.
- Some families travel to the beach or to the country and enjoy a picnic for their holiday meal.
- On Boxing Day, December 26, people visit their friends for more outdoor grilling and other activities.